Friday, May 8, 2009

...we are still hiccuping!

Hello,

Yes, we are still hiccuping... Poor guy! We asked the doctor about it today. When I inquired about how long they could last, his response was, "oh, anywhere from a week, to 6 months." I about died when he said that! We are hoping that they end MUCH sooner than that! I have been scouring the internet for possible remedies and beds for MY new bedroom! Just jokin' :)

Jeff is up to four walks around the floor. He is taking his last walk of the day around 10:00 PM. The doctor asked him to get in at least three walks today, but of course Jeff had to up that! Jeff is also tube free as of tonight! All of the IVs, and other things, that I won't go into depth about, have been removed. :)

We are hoping that Jeff will be able to get out of the hospital by Sunday. If that happens, we will probably stay with the Kevin and Sherine on Sunday night, and head for home on Monday. The doctor said that Jeff will require frequent stops on the trip home, possibly as often as every hour (same as when I travel with you, Barb!) ;)

We actually had company tonight! The three of us were kind of stunned when the nurse walked in and asked us if we were up for visitors! Around 5:00 tonight, My Uncle Jim, Aunt Kathy, Cousin Mike and new cousin, Andrew, all walked in the room! Mike's wife, Steph, had to work, so she wasn't able to come. We missed you, Steph! Pat's brother, Kevin, an oncologist at Mayo in Mankato, also made the trip over to see Jeff. He has been such a God send to us! It was SO nice to have family visit. It really brightened Jeff's day (and mine!)

Well, the hiccups are gone for right now, and Jeff is trying to take a little snooze before they start again, so I guess I will stop "clicking" on my computer keyboard (another of Jeff's little pet peeves!) :) Have a great night!

Love you all!
Kim

12 comments:

  1. That was nice of the Mischnicks and Pat's brother
    to make the trip over. I bet it was nice to see
    some different people. Pam James (Taneca's mom)
    sent me an e-mail today saying that she has been
    following the blob, but couldn't get her comments
    to send!! Anyway, she has been thinking about
    you guys alot. Talk to you later. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim and Jeff!

    We are missing your company this Friday evening! Sounds like you are doing well Jeff! Hope tomorrow brings even more improvements.
    I will try to call later this weekend.

    Love,
    Dan & Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Jeff wants it quiet. Ask him if he remembers dropping firecrackers down the laundry chute that just so happened to come out right beside my bedroom in the basement of our house we lived in. I needed my sleep after another hard night of "studying" and to be brought out of a peaceful slumber by that means is not quiet. Hope things continue to go well and have a safe and uneventful trip back to Nebraska.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the "mysterious" case of the hiccups will be gone soon. Like I've said before we are all praying for you and your family, Mrs. Ridder. (And if Jeff, if you are reading this) Get better soon, the both of you! I hope you had a wonderful visit from your family and I promise your family at school is doing great. Mrs. Watson is a really great sub., but not as good as you, Mrs. Ridder! Don't forget us at Scott!(Since you've been gone sooooo long!) But, personally I don't blame you, you've got a good cause!
    Hope Jeff is feeling better!
    Your fav student,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kindergarten cure for hiccups is nine fast sips of water, not 8, not 10, exactly 9! All my five year olds swear by it! Seriously, I do hope they go away quickly. It sounds like everything else is going great. You'll be home before you know it! Take Care,
    Kim Z.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Mrs. Ridder, I guess I'll share my cure for hiccups, plug your ears and drink water, breathing through your nose for about 20 seconds or longer. I don't know if this will work in Jeff's situation, but I swear it works on normal cases! Scott is not the same without you! It looks like things are only getting better, which is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Kim,
    Your Hill friends are keeping up with your reports AND we are so happy to hear the positive results! Wow...it would be wonderful if Jeff could leave the hospital on Sunday. What a wonderful Mother's Day celebration that would be!!

    Jeff, sorry to hear about the hiccups...how annoying! Hang in there! Hopefully, you'll be home SOON!!!

    You all continue to be in my thoughts and prayers,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the hiccups can be so annoying! Im glad they have stopped for a moment, long enough to at least get some sleep. I hope you are able to hit the road on Monday. It will be a relief knowing you both are back here!
    Tami Styskal

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeff you sound like you are getting stronger each day and hopefully the hiccups are bugging someone else! Cole and Maddie you must love the news that soon you will all be back together. Kim I know how happy you will feel to be all back home in NE together---it would be the perfect Mother's Day news for the Ridder family!Inserting big excited hugs! Cooper, I hope your LA teacher gives you an A for helping her set up this wonderful blog that keeps all of us connected! Kelcy came home with a car full of freshman life so she and Tom are going to unpack the overflowing car while I try to sort and pack into tubs for next Sophomore year....hugs to everyone...love marie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeff, it was good to see how really good you look. Everyone would be reassured to see you and talk to you. I don't just think you can say you have the hiccups - you have "the mother of all hiccups." You know Dad's cure don't you. Stick your head in a bucket of quick drying cement.

    Remind people that Andy is much cuter when Kim isn't trying to hold him all the time. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha Ha very funny about the frequent stops! That's why I love traveling with Jeff! and Kim you know you love traveling with both of us, think of all of the interesting places and people you have seen and met during our stops!
    Hope the hiccups go away soon that is brutal. Looking forward to helping nurse Jeff back to health. We are still praying and sending positive thoughts!
    Love, Barb and Larry, G, J & A

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quick cure for hiccups--Callie swears by this :)--is to pour a dab of salt into you hand and lick it!! Callie gets the hiccups all the time and seems to work for her LOL!! I am glad Jeff is up and moving--Got scared of Big Duane coming to visit ,huh?? I would have been scared too!!! Sounds like things are looking great, can't wait for you guys to be home!!

    Drive safe and Kim, Happy Mother's Day!!!

    Duane and Michelle

    ReplyDelete