Tuesday, May 12, 2009

To deaths door and back. The end of the blog. Written by Jeff

I am alive and back at home. It was quite an ordeal and I will pray that no one that I know will ever have to go through it. I want to close the blog and give a detailed description of what I went through and then just say thank you for all the prayers and well wishes that helped bring me through.
6:00am check in at St. Mary's Hospital(Mayo) It is reported to be the largest hospital in the country. Line was 20 deep at 5:50am and people were still lining up.
7:00am in a holding room getting quizzed by nurses preparing me to get to the prep room.
7:15am left Kim and my sister Ann behind heading to be prepped for surgery.
A super nice young resident anesthesiologist did all the prep. IV's in both wrists, IV's in both forearms, 6 shaved spots on my chest where electrodes were placed. Another spot shaved on my chest for a line he said he would start when I went under. As I lay there I was scared I may not wake back up because I was told the week before by the surgeon what they would be doing. On the wall right in front of me was a crucifix, and I had a very good conversation with Christ. It is private though.
8:00 down the hall and off to OR. In the OR was a team of maybe 10 people. As they moved me to the OR table a nurse in maybe her mid 50's said I would do great. This team removes brain tumors every week and Dr. Link was awesome. I felt a little better. Then the head anesthesiologist gave me a mask and said take a few deep breaths and I remembered nothing. Kim and Ann would be given updates all day. As family from other patients in surgery would hear that their family was in recovery room whatever, Kim and Ann would get updates for 8 hours. The surgery has started, they are opening, Dr. Link has him under the microscope, they are closing, etc. I was asleep and going through the procedure as they sat for 8+ long hours waiting and waiting.
At about 4:00pm I remember Dr. Link tell me that the surgery was over and it went great, but I could not see him. I then remember waking and puking and falling back asleep for the next several hours. At that point you're not really sure you wanted to live. The next afternoon I got out of ICU and into my own room and things got slowly better until they let me out Sunday afternoon.
The young resident anesthesiologist came in at day 2 after surgery and wanted to know the last thing I remembered and the first thing I remembered upon awaking. He has to chart how well he does during his residency. After explaining to him how well he had done, I asked him to tell me what they did in surgery, everything. So he did. He told me that the first thing they did was paralyze every part of my body except my heart. Put a vent down my throat to work my lungs. Then they secured my head in an apparatus he called a halo. It is a device that screws to the front and back of your head so that when locked in position your head cannot even move a mm during surgery. Then the OR table converts to a chair and my body and the halo are locked in a slightly forward sitting position for the entire 8 hours. No wonder my butt was so sore for 2 days. Then the resident Neurosurgeon Dr. Ball, another awesome young Dr. opened the back of my head from the base of my skull to the top of my spine. He had to remove a third of the top 2 vertebral bones, said I will never miss them, separate the muscle and tissue and use expanders to give the head surgeon a window approximately 4 inches wide by 5 inches long so he could see the entire tumor as he worked. Then Dr. Link wearing a microscopic head gear spent nearly 6 hours removing the tumor. Luckily it came away from the brain stem and spine without incident. Came off of the vertebral artery that it had engulfed and Dr. Link only had to remove the lining of my cerebellum to get it all. Then a tissue graph was taken from my leg to fill in on the cerebellum and Dr. Ball closed the incision he had made. Gross and amazing at the same time. The young anesthesiologist said that 20 years ago they did not have the ability to do this. He also informed me that the line he started on my chest was in place to remove air from my heart if needed. He said that operating for that long in a sitting position with such a large opening in my head has a good risk of air getting in my head and going to my heart. 1 anesthesiologist spent the whole surgery listening to my heart for air. Never happened I guess. The surgery has a much better success rate when performed in a sitting position but has more risk during surgery. It is over and I am home and that is all that is important now. I am alive and can see my kids and in a couple months should be totally finished with this. What an amazing team of Doctors at Mayo. So again thanks for all your prayers they were heard and now you can call Kim or myself and get back to normal things.

15 comments:

  1. Ridder,

    From your appreviated report it sounds like quite an experience. Good that you are here to tell us about it and looking forward to the time when it's completed. I look forward to talking to you in person. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you or your family. Take care.

    K. Loper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - your "lead" sentence nearly knocked Cooper off his seat! You certainly made him want to keep reading! :)
    Jeff - thank you so much for taking the time to share your ordeal.
    We are so happy that you are home - safe and sound.
    Now get back to some normal living (well as normal as it can be living with Kim!)
    Don't rush your recovery - take the time to heal and process all that went on.

    Lesa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing!! But what a good idea for you to take
    the time to do this----should avoid alot of
    questions! Now just follow the rules and get
    yourself back to normal. See you soon.

    Love,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miraculous! Trying to think of one single word to describe your "adventure"--hard to sum it up with one word! So very grateful that you are home safe, sound and basically in one piece :-) although maybe a few vertebral bones and a few hair follicles less! Kim, thank you so much for keeping us all posted--the power of all of our prayers from "God's country" were heard! I'm sure that you are anxious to just be settled and returning to some form of normalcy--please let us know if you need absolutely anything. God Bless

    Saegers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leave it to you to want to know everything! I'm just glad that "bad boy" is out and you are doing so well. Just don't overdo things now and give yourself some time to thoroughly heal. I'll bet the kids are thrilled you are both home. So are we!
    Love,
    Peg

    ReplyDelete
  6. So it was your turn to drive Kim crazy with the clicking keys...such a "Guy" report-----give us the facts and get to the bottom line!!!!! All kidding aside I am so happy it was you typing the post back home in Lincoln with your kids, family and friends. I will continue to pray for a lazy boring recovery!!!!!You now have the perfect excuse for everything---"I had brain surgery." It gets you out of all sorts of trouble.......marie in TX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah for happy endings!!! So very pleased everything worked out so well. I certainly believe in the power of prayer. Jeff, you are a walking miracle! Glad you were able to have the best medical support possible. The hiccups weren't mentioned so I hope that chapter is also over. Now, wishing you a complete and speedy recovery back to your wonderful normal life! Enjoy every moment!!
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah for happy endings!!! So very pleased everything worked out so well. I certainly believe in the power of prayer. Jeff, you are a walking miracle! Glad you were able to have the best medical support possible. The hiccups weren't mentioned so I hope that chapter is also over. Now, wishing you a complete and speedy recovery back to your wonderful normal life! Enjoy every moment!!
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah for happy endings!!! So very pleased everything worked out so well. I certainly believe in the power of prayer. Jeff, you are a walking miracle! Glad you were able to have the best medical support possible. The hiccups weren't mentioned so I hope that chapter is also over. Now, wishing you a complete and speedy recovery back to your wonderful normal life! Enjoy every moment!!
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeff,
    Wow!what a week...you are proof that God hears and answers prayers for those who believe! So glad you are home safe and sound with your family.Wishing you a speedy recovery, rest, relax and enjoy time with the family.
    Kim Z.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jeff and Kim,

    Kim, though we don't know you we very much appreciate your updates on Jeff's condition. This blog was a brilliant idea!! We feel as if we have gotten to meet you!! Though we see Jeff only at work (nursing staff at ENT Specialties) we have been praying for you and your family and wishing you well like a member of our staff. We miss you Jeff and your smiling face and are so proud of the recovery you have made!!

    Hope to see you soon,
    Karen, Dawn, and all of the nursing staff at ENT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tracie Ridder WertzMay 14, 2009 at 2:20 PM

    Hi Jeff:
    We received an email from Rich about what was happening and a link to this blog. I am so happy to hear that everything sounds positive and you are back home. Me, Jackie, Mandy and Mom were all thinking about you and praying for a healthy recovery. Hope to see you all soon, take care of yourself! Love, Tracie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Jeff ... great news - glad you are home with your family. We were all thinking of you and sending our most positive thoughts to you, Kim and your family. Thanks to Rich for letting us know. Take good care of yourself and may you have a speedy and total recovery!

    Love, Jaynanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad that you are home & the adventure is well on its way to being over. Praise God for his blessings! Like many others have said, relax, recoup, and renew.
    Jules :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a journey. It is amazing what can be done with modern medicine. Sounds like you had a great team working on you. Well, I'm going to listen to what you said and get back to life as normal....laundry!! So glad you are back and feeling better.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete